Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have been working on this for about 6 weeks and now it finally starting to come together. so here it is first i swapped the zx9r swingarm onto my 2005 zzr600 and also i swapped a 03 636 tail section onto the zzr.
SWINGARM SWAP.
well i always thought that the zzr was missing something... a little bit more meat. and i loved the look of the larger bikes swingarm with the brace. so i decided to do the swap. so first i found my swingarm thanks to danzx9r11 for the ggod deal and all the help with trouble shooting. so once i recieved the swingarm it became very aperent what had to be done to get it on my bike.
1) the zx9 swing arm is right under a half inch larger than the zx6 at the pivot, which ment it had to be milled down. but the problem was how much on each side. since modern sport bike swingarms are offset or the wheel isn't directly centered in relationship to the pivot i had to find out exactly where that center piont was. so thanks to c.e.m. a sport bike shop here in daytona beach who makes there own custom swingarms they where able to put both my stock swingarm and the zx9s into a gig and find exactly what needed to be cut off each side. it turned out to be the same amount on each side. all work cost 80 for this fix
2) the next problem was that the zx9 pivot takes a 27mm axle where the zzr has a 23mm so what i did was had a spacer made to make up the difference. turned out to be simple and cheap only cost me 30 bucks at my local machine shop.
3) the rear shock resvior sticks straight back and would get in the way of the swingarm. so to fix this i swapped it out for a 05 636 shock. to get it to fit i had to gring out the bottom where it connects to the dog bone since the 636 shock is 1mm smaller than the zzr. i used a dremel for this and it took me about 5 minutes. no cost to me.
4) the zx9 swing arm is slightly longer than the stock one so i need to add links or get a longer chain. still working on this so if you know about adding links to your stock chain let me know.
well here are a few picture of the work so far.
i got the swingarm off and held the bike up by some car jacks and a 2x4 worked great for me.

sorry my camera wasnt working during the milling work so i will get pictures of that later when i polish the whole bike. but here is how it came out.

also after doing all this i have come to the conclusion it would be roughly the same amount of work to swap any swingarm so if you want to do this pick whatever swingarm you like best.

636 TAIL SWAP.
and again i thought that the zzr was missing something.. oh i mean needed to have something trimmed down. like a fat girl needs lypo it needed a slimmer tail and so it began. first i want to thank the members here on the forum for their help and misc. parts. and badassjake for his write up and answering all my question would of been alot harder without his help. so here where the problems i encountered while doing this swap.
1) finding all the misc parts bolts fairing stay clips, which im still looking for, fairings subframe,bolts brackets ext...
2) getting the subframe to fit. although the subframes are very similar where they connect to the frame they are slightly off the top is smaller on the 636 and the bottom is larger so to fix this i used aluminum slugs cut at the right angle to push the brackets out on the top and in on the bottom. welding took about a hour and cost me less than 50. so take a look.
3) the next problem was with the tank the rear bracket was getting in the way of the front seat brack so it had to be cut off. luckly thansk to badassjake i already knew about this so i was prepared just used my dremel again and it worked like a charm.

and it was on this swap cost me
subframe 100
tail fairing 100
solo cowl 20
undertail and light 40
welding 50
total 310
sold mike stock parts 225
my cost 85
but i still have to paint it. im going to have to wait until bike week is over though since its crazy down here right now.
so here are some pictures of how it turned out

thanks badassjake and danzx9r11 for all the help.
and if anyone else has any question or comment please post them up looking forward to hearing what you think about it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Well let me be the first to say that you did one HELL of a great job.:D:D
Pretty well documented if I might add. Its funny, when I look at my zzr, the only thing I would ever want to change would be the "look" of the swing arm. I like the way other swingarms look with the brace going across the top.

Anyway--GREAT JOB[8D]

·
Registered
464 Posts
Well I`m impresed that you put that much effort into it, its let me learn a lot about what will/wont/can be made to fit a zzr.

But if you just wanted a slimmer look, why not just get the 636??? But trust me, I understand the desire to mod a bike, I`ll show ya mine someday:D:D

Your tail gave me an idea though, maybe a Z1000 tail on my bike would look slick...

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no it wasn't that hard to the tail it just took time collecting parts and finding out exactly what needed to be done. i would say it took me maybe 5 hrs tops total labor time from mock up to finish. and i love my zzr and would never trade her for a 636. in a couple weeks i will get some pictures of the mill work and better shots of the welds when i take it apart to polish. also i have a extra subframe, its bent but the tubing is still good for fab work so if anyone else out there wants to try this let me know and ill send you some free + shipping.

·
Registered
114 Posts
You did a great job, I like the swingarm swap. In my opinion, the 636 tails look to small for the rest of the bike, when swapped on. It is a clean job, great work.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Awesome work dude. I think it looks absolutely beatiful. I like the fact that your giving your bike a race look, but at the same time having all the other goodies which the zzr offers ya.

I give you props for doind it yourself, I can understand the pain of trying to find the parts alone. I could never have the ballz to do it.

Congrats,

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
also im still looking for extra stock chain and 636 tail fairing stay clips the 6 clips that go on the tail fairing and allow you to screw in the undertail. but besides that i have got everything

·
Registered
211 Posts
i love the look of the swing arm it's just that i always thought the tail would make the bike look that much hotter but it just looks to sharp i guess thats why they make them like they do
But don't get me wrong amazing job on the swingarm ;);););)

·
Premium Member
2,585 Posts
excellent job!!!!

correct me if i am wrong, but the z1000 is basically the same as the 636...close twin.

I love the way your tube cutting worked out for you....simple, easy, and stock looking....sorta.[8D]

swingarm is something sweet !!!

Jason

·
Registered
484 Posts
Someone please photoshop the tall so we get an idea of how it will look when it is finished?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.