Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Just wondering, after how many miles do you guys have to switch it to reserve after having a full tank? For some reason, I go about 120 miles (about 2.5 galons of gas), and then I have to flip it to reserve, otherwise the fuel is cut off. So the reserve is about 2.3 more galons? That's not very practical since the full tank is about 4.8 galons.
Just wondering if everyone's got the same issue.

Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I go between 180-190 miles before hitting reserve. I've never run reserve very long (find a gas station right away), so I can't give you an estimate on how much that is. When I hit reserve and fill up, I'm typically buying 36-3.8 gallons of gas which means I have 0.8-1.0 gallons left.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Depends on your driving style.

I'm a more agressive driver in the city. I consistantly get anywhere from 140-145 miles before hitting reserve. When I fill up, it's about 3.6 - 3.7 gallons.

Highway riding. I get about 180 miles before hitting reserve and filling up with 3.6-3.7 gallons. I normally ride 80 plus on the highway.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I ran out of gas twice last week but both times I had the uncanny luck to drift into the gas station. The first time it said 215 miles. 2nd time was 193 miles. I was riding with my buddy and my bike was spitting and sputtering and i point to my tank and he says "yeah i need gas too." and I said "No i need gas RIGHT NOW" it was pretty funny as i was only 100 yards away from a gas station and just drifted it in. My fuel knob fell off awhile ago and it was set to "on" but i took the tank off a few weeks ago and when I put it back on i turned it the wrong way to "reserve" I usually fill up around 150-170 miles.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I RAN OUTTA GAS 2 TIMES. GOT NERVOUS. THEN I RMEMEBERED THE RESERVE. WAS HARD TO GET GOIN, ONCE IT DID I GOT TO THE CLOSEST GAS STATION. I USUALLY FILL IT EVERYTIME I RIDE. WHICH IS LIKE 5 BUX. CUZ I ONLY RIDE MAYBE LIKE 50-100 MILES A CRUSIE ( EXCEPT FOR THE TIMES I RAN OUTTA GAS )

·
Registered
168 Posts
On average I do about 160 miles before switching over to reserve then I have another 30 -40 miles before I run out.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
i get like 100-120 before hitting reserve for some reasion i seem to run out quick maybe my gearing change by+7 in teh back and -2 up front and i ride at like 7-8k rpms lol I also have no reserve knob it fell off and i ran out once a long way away from home, and my battery died once i was able to flick it to reserve becasue i had to crank it so much, still have yet to get a new battery but soon i will, hopefully the end of the week i can afford one i just spent way to much on fairings etc lol
Ben

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I go about 110-120 miles before hitting the reserve... and after that I've done another 40 miles. I do drive it pretty hard though and I do have a Micron exhaust and K&N filter with no jet kit... it's running a little rich (gotta love the flames though).

·
Registered
312 Posts
Originally posted by D_Wayne
Depends on your driving style.

I'm a more agressive driver in the city. I consistantly get anywhere from 140-145 miles before hitting reserve. When I fill up, it's about 3.6 - 3.7 gallons.

Highway riding. I get about 180 miles before hitting reserve and filling up with 3.6-3.7 gallons. I normally ride 80 plus on the highway.
me too.

one week i gave my bike hell, and i remembered getting gas after 117 miles (L O L)

I usually shift into 6th as soon as possible (like 35mph)

I've gotten 211 miles out of a tank, including reserve..I was just waiting for it to start puttering and stuff (this was on the highway too, i woulda been f^cked)

it takes anywhere from 3-4 gallons depending on how far i went past reserve

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I average 180 miles. Worst milage I got was 42 mpg. Best was 52 mpg. I went 104 miles and topped back off with 1.9 gallons. That was at 65 mph for 90% of the trip. I didn't get above 70. Hehehe, let's see a Harley do a buck and a quarter and get 40 mpg's. The tank is 4.8 gallons (18 L) with a reserve of 1.1 gallons (4 L).

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
There are allot of factors that have to do with MPG. Your geographic location. Riding style, terrian you ride on. I have never been on reserve. I have been getting on average about 45 to 47 miles to the gallon. Which means about 180 miles until I would hit reserve. Then with 8/10th's of a gallon left about another 36 miles or until I'm out of gas. I'm sure those figures could change at higher elevations and different terrain.

·
Registered
474 Posts
usually about 140-160 miles before I need to switch on my 01 zx6r with 20k mileage. i get 38-45 MPG.. rarely any higher.

·
Registered
812 Posts
For those who got stuck before reserve, and when they switched to reserve had hard time starting the engine:

You may put the bike in first gear, turn on the ignition, and (without pulling the clutch in) hit the starter button. This will operate the fuel pump to feed gas. You won't have to worry about cranking a lot and wasting battery.

·
Registered
949 Posts
You may put the bike in first gear, turn on the ignition, and (without pulling the clutch in) hit the starter button. This will operate the fuel pump to feed gas. You won't have to worry about cranking a lot and wasting battery.
you coulda saved me 220 bucks if you posted this earlier ;)

·
Registered
181 Posts
135ish...but i gots a fmf exhaust, uni air filter, stage 1 jet kit, and -1+2 gearing so all that ol drob my milage down a bit.. lol..thats with out flippen to reserve..i try not to use it.:D

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
140 - 160 mi. Depends on how throttle happy I am at the moment, or how high I am keeping my rpms. I usually average around 45 - 50 mpg.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Originally posted by adrenaline

you coulda saved me 220 bucks if you posted this earlier ;)
Actually I did post it earlier on this forum(obviously different topic :D)It probably was during the winter times...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.