Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How are you guys getting the zzr600's to wheelie. I have been trying to do first gear power wheelies and second gear clutch but have had no success. With the first gear power wheelies I go wide open throttle and then shut it off and then go back to wot. I have tried this at every rpm and have only got it to come up a couple of inches. I sit with my butt against the back and everything and still no success. Pretty much the same thing with the clutch wheelies. I will go wot in second then pull the clutch in until it jumps b/w 5 and 10k then smoothly release. Nothing but a surge of power and maybe 10 inches off the ground at most. I tried it at around 15k and when I let off the clutch my rear end completely lost traction and I almost lost it (probably mostly due to needing new tires). Anyways, I thought both of these methods should work pretty good on the zzr600 but I guess its not powerfull enough or I am doing something wrong. I am getting new tires this week and I am going to have them throw a -1 front sprocket on. Hopefully this will fix the problem.

But anyways guys if you are pulling off wheelies on the zzr lemme know exactly how you are doing it and maybe I will be able to figure out my problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I found mind was like that as well. Didn't get very high off the ground with simple WOT. But if you give a little tug on the handle bars, it should come up. Be careful though, the first time I did it, I pulled up a little to hard, and the wheel came a little higher then I was expecting.

Be Careful

Cheers

Kyle

·
Registered
22 Posts
5000rpm usually does it on the bikes I've owned but they were all 1000+cc. I'd say for the 600, bring the rpm's up a little more before shutting down the throttle and cracking it back to wot.

·
Registered
394 Posts
if you want a little more height than the power ups, the zzr loves clutch ups in first or second gear. be careful in first and start out at lower rpms till you get a feel for it, it'll want to come up fast.

·
Registered
89 Posts
the -1 will help. I didn't have a problem with the stock sprocket, but with the -1 it's too easy.

Just LITTLE throttle blips at 5-10-15-20mph and the front jumps right up! Tons-O-Fun.:D

I rode out a 1st gear power wheelie this weekend, hit the shift just as the front touched the ground and she pulled right back up in second gear.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I have the same bike as you. I've never powered wheelied my bike, I can't get it to work either, plus you can't ride them as far so whats the point?

1st gear clutch: From a stop, start moving, then slip the clutch a little and let it out. it will come up (if it doesn't, use more throttle when you slip the clutch. (i started at 6k rpm, but can now do them right after i pull out)

For a 2nd gear stand up: get the bike to around 50mph, stand up then bump the bike down with your legs (give a very slight increase in throttle), like you are gonna jump off, then as the bike is rebounding, WHACK the throttle. Hit it hard and fast. It will come up suprisingly nice and easy.

For 2nd gear stand up w/ clutch. This is the hardest to get right because it requires perfect timing. 2nd gear, bike at 30-40 mph, stand up. then bump the bike down twice, on the 2nd bounce slip the clutch, then let it out. ride the wheelie. (you can bounce once, but two bounces is easier for me.

Try these tips at your own risk. To wheelie, you gotta mostly go by feel, if you overthink it, you won't be able to do it as well. just gotta practice and cover the rear brake. find a good road with lots of runoff and no traffic or better yet a parking lot.

·
Registered
464 Posts
1st gear stand up power wheelies

I`m not very good yet, but heres how I get em up.

Start at a roll standing up, roll on the throttle quick up to about 4k - the quickness of your excell will throw the weight of you and the bike onto the back shock more
Then drop the throttle - to let the weight spring off the rear shock - and quickly whack it again and pull up on the bars.

Dont let your weight be too far forward, its a natural reaction, but it doenst facilitate wheelies much.

BE CAREFUL.

cheers

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ive got the 2000 zx6r, same bike. Anyways, try putting your left foot on the passenger peg, right foot covering the brake. get to about 8k in 2nd, give it a little bounce by compressing the shocks, then almost jump without bringing your feet off the pegs. Once you get to the top of your bounce, go WOT and it will come right up. This bike will wheelie easy, so know that its something that you are doing wrong. DONT pull up on the bars NO MATTER WHAT. Whoever said that is an idiot, you'll come down with a tank slapper, i garuntee it, especially with the zzr.

cbrown1311

·
Registered
164 Posts
I couldnt really power up first gear in stock form. I could do a clutch up in first really easy though. I didnt play with second gear wheelies much because I was still learning first gear wheelies. Once I swapped to a -1/+2 sprocket combo first gear power wheelies are far too easy and pretty scary if youre not careful. I never clutch it up in first gear now out of fear that I will loop in seeing how easy it is to power up. Second gear I can clutch it up but I havent tried bouncing it up yet. I can almost clutch it up in third now and probably could if I got my technique just right. I can definately say that technique is everything because even now if I dont do it right the front wheel isnt coming up or it can come up way too fast. After I got the bike broken in I thought it should just come right up there and for a while I was disappointed and thought it was a turd. But now I have learned that it takes practice and skill to do it and love the bike. I think that a -1 front OR a +2 rear sprocket makes it just right for wheelies (I ran the +2 for a couple days before I got the -1 installed ) but having both is a bit much or at least without some engine mods. The main thing to remember is to keep the rear brake covered and if you feel like youre gonna loop it tap the rear brake and the front will come down. Once you get good at it you will figure out how to use the rear brake to keep your balance and not bring the front completely down it just takes some finess. And always be careful......................

·
Registered
20 Posts
I haven't tried wheeling either, but i'm keen to, it seems easiest to wheelie by sliping the clutch in first and powering WOT..

But does that damage your clutch? Does, keeping your clutch sliping at the friction point and hitting big revs damage anything?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for the help guys the bike is in the shop right now for new tires but I will let you know how it goes when I get it back

·
Registered
312 Posts
why? Did you trash your bike trying to do one for some hotties in the SUV next to you?

I did stand up power wheelies in 1st until i clutched 1st on accident (I thought i was in 2nd). Clutching 2nd doesent work too well for me, but i can bounce 2nd all day long. I think i need a new clutch

·
Registered
130 Posts
Mines got about 1200 miles now... I had been reading posts on how to power her up. I was rolling up hill at about 4 grand on the tach, let off and hammered on again. The wheel popped up immediately and scared the shit outta me. That was the first time i trtied it. After i regained my composure (and put my helmet on) I tried again. It proved to be more difficult, im assuming because i was thinking too much. Timing seems to be the real trick to it.[B)]

·
Registered
312 Posts
if you think about ti too haRD, you'll most likely mess up and not give it ENOUGH throttle.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.