Dreaming of a zx-14r - Page 4 - KawiForums - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakwolf View Post
Thanks alot for the ideas guys. After searching around I'll look into that abba stand (if i can find it), seems safer to use than the rear/front stand for some reason, and i don't have a large garage so storage is important for me (which may be an issue with skylift/bursig stands).

Cheers
I have a 2 car garage, storage was definitely something I had to consider too. Wheel stands are pretty large and take up quite a bit of space, and as your saying the Skylift (which would be freaking awesome) or similar stands don't easily breakdown. The way the ABBA Superbike stand is built, storing it doesn't take much space at all. I store it on my peg board in fact.

Evora - 2013 14R - Cox Radiator Guard - R-77 SS/CF - CBlasted ECU - Q3s Gear Nolan N104, Scorpion EXO-500, Icon Device Leather (D30 back), Icon Anthem Mesh, Scorpion SGS, Joe Rocket Accelerator Jeans (D30 knee), Aeromoto Corsa Pro LeatherPants, TCX S-R1 Boots RIDE SAFE - BE SEEN - ATGATT - HAVE FUN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 11:31 PM

Here's my ABBA stand stored, this includes the 2 bars for the front lift arm kit (they are stacked front to back).

Evora - 2013 14R - Cox Radiator Guard - R-77 SS/CF - CBlasted ECU - Q3s Gear Nolan N104, Scorpion EXO-500, Icon Device Leather (D30 back), Icon Anthem Mesh, Scorpion SGS, Joe Rocket Accelerator Jeans (D30 knee), Aeromoto Corsa Pro LeatherPants, TCX S-R1 Boots RIDE SAFE - BE SEEN - ATGATT - HAVE FUN
post #33 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 185EZ View Post
What is "winter storage"?
t-rex racing. Half the price of pitbulls and just as good. Plus you get free spools.
They also have the dual wheels for more stability.
Front & Rear

This. I have t rex stands as well. They are VERY sturdy. I am very picky and they are great.

post #34 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 01:34 AM
Intermediate Member

Garage
I use T-Rex as well. I have used them for working on everything from Ninja 250s to heavy Busas and HDs and they work great!

Currently own:
05 Z750S
Have owned:
01 Volusia
post #35 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

I'd probably have gone for T-rexes too, but i don't have enough clearance in front of the bike for safe passage (kid, wife and all other people who are not bike-aware :P). So i ordered the Abba stand front/rear from the canadian retailer...will see if it works out good.
post #36 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 11:35 PM

Sorry I'm late to the party! Congrats on upgrading to the ZX-14R Oakwolf. She is a great ride as long as you treat her right .

I upgraded from my modded 2011 Ninja 650R to my 2011 ZX-14 (It was a very well priced leftover model that needed a new home besides the dealership). The difference was more than night and day. I'm sure you now know that as long as you have trained your right hand correctly this beast is as docile or as nasty as you want it to be.

Welcome to the club!
post #37 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 02:19 AM

Quote:
I'd probably have gone for T-rexes too, but i don't have enough clearance in front of the bike for safe passage (kid, wife and all other people who are not bike-aware :P). So i ordered the Abba stand front/rear from the canadian retailer...will see if it works out good.
Just an FYI, you will receive "fitting pins" to use with the stand. Do not use the stand until you have the pins, they may ship separately from the stand itself. Someone else ordered the stand too, for some reason they shipped the pins separately from the UK. Mine all came in one package.

The fitting pins are what adapt the stand to every type of bike. One set of pins might work for more than one bike. The pins go on each side of the stand, in the tubular cups and fit into the swingarm bolt or nut (depending on which side).

post #38 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

@psychoninja: yeah it's quite a change, i wouldn't go back for sure though. I am very cool headed with the throttle, that's not a problem from what i can see (yet)...my real challenge will be the to master the additional mass/weight; I'll need to beef up this winter

- as for the stand, i got a pack of pins (and the bobbin pin as well) in the package, once i'll get it ready for winterage i'll make sure they fit tight in the frame bolts. The stand looks really solid, i am confident about the thing.

Question for you guys...the bike now has 300km, and the season is pretty much ended for all we know. What should i do with the "break-in" oil? Should i drain it or should i leave it for next year? Iirc the manual says to drain it.

Last edited by Oakwolf; 10-26-2014 at 06:48 PM.
post #39 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Question for you guys...the bike now has 300km, and the season is pretty much ended for all we know. What should i do with the "break-in" oil? Should i drain it or should i leave it for next year? Iirc the manual says to drain it.
That's a good question. That's only 180 miles. I can tell you this, the engine is far from being broke in at this point. Contact your dealer and ask them for advice is one thing I'd recommend.

I'd try to get it as close to the 1000km service as possible. I don't know your weather situation, but if it's dry and just cold I'd probably tough it out. If it's worse conditions or freezing that are dangerous. I rode in 30F temps (probably 1-3C) a couple times this year, it really wasn't bad as I put my winter coat on under my riding jacket instead of the liner. My mesh gloves left my hands cold, but nothing dangerous. I'm going to ride to work tomorrow morning and it'll be in the 40s, but then 70s during the day so I'll ride at lunch and then the evening.

I'd either hurry up and get at least 700km on it (over 400 miles) then do the change or leave it in at this point. The break in oil has a purpose, and I'd hate to see your motor not broke in properly because the break in lube was changed out too early. My only concern is what might happen to loose particles if the all settle into one area of the engine then get sucked in when you start it next year.

The other thing to think about is if you get it to 1000km you can do the full break-in service over the off season, definitely do all the bolt tightening stuff and other things in the service, I can pretty much guarantee you will find loose bolts, I found around 8, including the rear caliper mounting bolt and RH clip on mount bolts.

post #40 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the heads up. After talking with them, they said to leave the oil in due to low mileage. As you said it's not an easy question....sort of a catch 22. Will definitely check the bolts at 1000km O.o , i don't want loose parts.

Wish i could tough it out but some regions already got the october "surprise snow" around here, didn't stay on the ground of course but still makes conditions crappy for bikes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the KawiForums - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode