Dreaming of a zx-14r - KawiForums - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Dreaming of a zx-14r

Hello folks,

First a disclaimer. I am aware i am a new biker, new to these forums, and that it'd probably be against alot of advice to buy that bike already. Now this is not one of those numerous posts to know if i should buy it or not...i likely will, but i want to know more from real owners and users rather than press releases and reviews, or commercial hype.

My current bike is a Ninja 650 (2013 no abs), i'm 5"7 at 150 pounds.

Trouble i have in these parts (Eastern Canada) is that it's not possible to try the bike out and see for myself if i'd scare my pants off or simply enjoy how it behaves. So all i can do is go to a dealer, sit on one and...imagine what it'd be like .

What was it like when you upgraded from your previous machine to the beast? Have any of you gone from a bike like the 650 onto a zx-14r? What are the things to really watch for (apart from that right wrist) in this kind of upgrade? What are the biggest drawbacks you could pinpoint on the model?

P.S. intended use are fun rides in the week-end, i don't drag/race nor intend to mod it (at least that syndrome hasn't struck me yet :P).

Thanks for any info

Wolf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 11:12 AM
Lifetime Premium

Location: rm. 187,psych ward,southern maine '07 ZX14R, '95 ZX7

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to locknload
The bike is very docile, then murderous at the flick of the wrist. Its not for the faint of heart or for n00bs either. You know all those horror stories you hear about how violent the ZX14 can be?

It's much worse.
azfizik likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwillits View Post
a beer-drinking, pot smoking, naked bike trashing hillbilly like you has an iPOD Touch ??--cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Soetoro View Post
"Blah blah my bike is faster than yours around a technical track". Yawn. Well I on my feet can beat your small bike in a race of 100 laps around my couch

Last edited by locknload; 08-18-2014 at 11:15 AM.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 04:25 PM
Intermediate Member

Any 14 will kill you if you are not careful. They are brutal, with gobs of tq on tap at nearly any gear and RPM range. A gentle roll on the gas to will put you in the three digit speeds before you have time to realize how fast you are going. It is that insane.

That being said, the Gen2s are surprisingly smooth and docile. Power is linear, and doesn't hit hard all of a sudden, and numerous electronic nanny aids do their best to keep you from killing yourself.

It ALWAYS comes down to the riders maturity and realization of their own skill level, but you can put it in KTRC 3 (allows ZERO wheelspin and wont lift the front) and ride it around like a baby. It is safer in the rain then my high strung full bolt-on ZX6R was(the removed flies, steep gearing, no KTRC, and very light weight made it very twitchy). In fact, when I get new tires I always do the first 50 miles or so on KTRC 3, just for piece of mind. The bike is so torquey you will be amazed at how easily traction control kicks in on level 3.

If that 650 is your first bike, and you have barely been riding a year, I would definitely put a lot more miles under your belt before going for a hyperbike like the 14. All the reading in the world isn't worth anything compared to getting miles under your belt.

2012 Metallic Spark Black ZX-14R: Black Coffman GP Duals, GPR v4 Damper, Lowered, lights blacked out, 8k HIDs, PP Road tires, BMC filter, Puig DB, Pazzo levers, Rizoma grips, Vortex keyless cap, Custom seat cover, Rim tape, painted fins.
152mph trap 2nd time out SWB/Stock motor. Now with nitrous...
Quote:
Originally Posted by trademe900 View Post
The brakes argument is old, any 600 brakes are ample, you just squeeze harder.

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the heads up. If i had listened to my (stupid) mind, i'd probably have bought the 14 for my first bike...but i was able to restrict myself and get that 650 for a trainer instead. It was the right choice, but the 2014 (black/red) 14r is...well, stuck in my head, i can't shake it off for some reason.

The plan i got atm is to keep the 650 till the rest of the season and next spring, then switch over. In the meanwhile i ride the little ninja and try to get as much info as i can.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 10:23 AM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Make sure your will is up to date...not joking.
Byron Sexton likes this.

Quote:
a beer-drinking, pot smoking, naked bike trashing hillbilly like you has an iPOD Touch ??--cobra
Quote:
"Blah blah my bike is faster than yours around a technical track". Yawn. Well I on my feet can beat your small bike in a race of 100 laps around my couch
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Even though dying a fiery death ain't in the plan, it's a good advice nonetheless, for a 14 or any bike come to think of it.

Last edited by Oakwolf; 08-19-2014 at 11:03 AM.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 03:25 PM
Intermediate Member

LnL you trying to scare him off of one for sure eh LOL

I am apart of a bike group in the DMV area, and all of the guys tell me that a ZX-14 is easy to ride, you have to control your right wrist and you'll be fine. Not one guy has any fear of that bike. You even have chicks riding the beast with no issues...

While a ZX-14 certainly isn't a beginner bike, I don't think it is the monster that people are playing it up to be either. Especially the new ones they have Traction control and all that electrical DO DAH that will save your ass anyways

"I love this damn bike" Me ---- ZX-14R
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 04:03 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Well, there ya go. Even chicks can ride one without fear.

Good fucking luck.

Quote:
Quote:
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 06:26 PM

There's a lot of dumbasses out there that think they're the only ones capable of handling such a bike as the 14R. The world is full of ignorant stupid assholes that think they're superior or whatever their high ego permits them to believe of themselves. Of course, all of us know it's just bullshit (and they know we know...they know too...but whatever).

Look, it's a kitten and a monster. If you wanted, you could be out dragged by a moped on it. At the same time, twist that throttle and the monster within is unleashed. To that I am not joking at all.

So any bike can kill you. Or basically, you can kill yourself on any motorcycle. With a 14, it will just take a lot less effort on your part. Instead of just scraping your face off a telephone pole from wrecking on something like a 600, they'll have to pry and tweezer out all the bits of your skull and teeth too. But hey, what will you care most of you will be in a bucket at that point?

So buy one? Hell yes. Be careful? Hell yes. Unchain the monster at the right times? Hell Fuck Yes!
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 07:14 PM

Vic and Locknload are right, these bikes are the closest thing to a grizzly attack you will ever experience when you open the throttle up. So much power on tap means the bike doesn't work at 70, 80, or 90mph....it just kinda hums along. Which is dangerous as you don't have a solid idea of how fast you are going until you see that little needle well past the 100 mark.

And Vic was right, any bike can kill you. Do something stupid on a Vespa and you are toast. The difference is that on the 14, the space between a good time and a trip home in a sponge is about 20* of throttle twist.

2013 ZX-14R Fireball Red
2006 TRX450R
1984 YTM225DX

They're all scary, just not in the order you think they are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the KawiForums - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode