2nd gear vanished - KawiForums - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kevinl7778

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

2nd gear vanished

Riding to work last night. I took off from a light and went to shift from 1st to 2nd. Instead I went to neutral I thought. Looked at indicator it said 2nd. Shifted up again it was in 3rd now. So upon further riding the 2nd gear is no longer there. Every other gear works fine. It's like my bike now had 2 neutrals. 2013 zx14. ABS. Any help would be appreciated as I cannot find one thing about this anywhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 03:59 AM
Intermediate Member

Hi and welcome, Kawis have a "Positive neutral finder" in their transmission, it keeps it from shifting into second unless the bike is moving.

I guess it is either a minor electronic fault in that system or a damaged transmission fork in the gearbox which is both highly unlikely and costly to repair.

Is it impossible to engage second gear under any circumstances?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 04:23 AM Thread Starter

I have not been able to get it in 3rd gear at all. No It while stopped. Not downshifting or upshifting. It says it's in 2nd gear but acts like it's in neutral.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 04:43 AM
Intermediate Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doden View Post
I have not been able to get it in 3rd gear at all. No It while stopped. Not downshifting or upshifting. It says it's in 2nd gear but acts like it's in neutral.
You mean second gear, right?

Have a look at this thread, this guy had to change the drum to rectify the problem:

https://www.kawiforums.com/zzr600-zx...ft-up-2nd.html

Since you get the second gear indication on the dash still smells like an electronics fault to me though...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Yes I mistyped it is 2nx gear that won't work. I can't find anywhere that tells me how to look for trouble codes on it. There is a post but for older bikes. Also don't know which buttons they are talking about when saying up down. I even emailed shop about problem haven't heard back. Can't believe this has never happened to anyone before.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 01:34 PM

A lot of bikes have issues with second gear, uasully its due to the locking mechanisim wearing out or being damaged and normally presents a "popping out of 2nd" issue. Sounds to me like your second gear bushing/locking item needs replacment.
GR rider likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the KawiForums - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode