Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

2007 ZX14 exhaust options

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  GR rider 
#1 ·
I see there was another recent post about ZX14 exhausts and had some good info, but I didn't want to hijack that thread. The situation I am in is that I am looking at getting a 2007 ZX14. I'm not going to be racing it or looking for top-end performance upgrades. It will mainly be for some day trips and the occasional runs down the interstate. This ZX14 has a 4 to 1 Muzzy M10 with a PCIII also. But, that is going to be too loud for what I want. I'm not saying it has to be the quietest bike on the street, but I don't want to wake the neighbors when I roll in at 2am. The seller does have a header he got from eBay that he will include too. My question is, what are my most inexpensive options? I'm not trying to be cheap, but I would like to keep the cost low if possible. I've heard of repack kits for the M10 or getting some Area P packing, but isn't my first choice as I've heard that it doesn't quiet things down that much. I could also put his 4 to 2 header on, but then I'd have to get the mid pipes and either find slipons or try to find stock cans on eBay. I also see some universal exhaust systems too (should I say away from those?). Whatever route I go, I know I'll need to get the PC mapping updated. Any and all comments/tips are welcome.

By the way, first time posting on here. Go easy on me. :)

#2 ·
In my opinion, a bike used mostly for commuting, short or long trips or more than occasional highway use should keep the factory pipes. And that's coming from a guy who has done 800 mile days on a naked bike with a straight pipe on.

The quietest solution other than that would be a buff slip-on approved for road use, and thus compliant with noise/emission regulations, and so probably made by an eponymous company.

In your case, by experience, I can see many drawbacks. You care about your neighbors, you want smooth highway cruising, it seems that an aftermarket exhaust is just not your thing and will cause more anxiety than joy. By the way, the repacking procedure is periodically required by some exhaust manufacturers in order to keep the can in working condition, it's not meant to reduce noise levels.

So, if the factory pipes are not available, I would recommend the quietest, road legal slip-on you can find. And as always, in any case the golden rule is to choose a bike specific, eponymous product developed and tested for your specific model of motorcycle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.