Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
The 07-08 gauges are easier to set up than the 05-06 because the speed sensor is the same (it has a 4 pulse per revolution sprocket nut) as the 03-04 and earlier. Only problem is the connector plug is much smaller on the 07-08's so you would have to pull out all the wires from the plug and install them with heatshrink around each contact. I just never installed it on mine because I may be selling my bike.
What about the temp sensor on those?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Help!

Looking to do this swap onto my 01zx6r... My gauge reads km/h right now, and all i can find are 03-04 gauges in mph. Will this matter or will i need to buy a different sensor. Anyone?

·
Registered
436 Posts
98-02 ZX6R / 05-08 ZZR600
146 Hz @ 60 MPH

03-04 ZX6R
146 Hz @ 60 MPH

05-06 ZX6R
1168 Hz @ 60 MPH

07-08 ZX6R
525 Hz @ 60 MPH

Only the 98-02 and 03-04 Gauges will match up on speed with no modifications. The 05-06 will require a speedohealer. The Tachometers should match up on all models.

The 07-08 model is the odd one. It appears to increase in Hz as the speed drops. According to the service manual, 60 MPH = 525 Hz, 60 KM/H (~37 MPH) = 840 Hz. This is the opposite of all other models.

·
Registered
139 Posts
with all of these mods is the mileage stored in the speedo or on the bike in some black box somewhere? ie if i use a different clock will my mileage read different?

·
Registered
98 Posts
can't seem to get the fuel light to shut off on my 05 speedo. i tried adding power from the red/blue stripe wire and nothing, i tried ground and direct power straight to the pin but still nothing.

i know the 03-04 gauges you can't bypass, but i thought the 05-06 you could bypass. anyone?

·
Registered
10 Posts
can't seem to get the fuel light to shut off on my 05 speedo. i tried adding power from the red/blue stripe wire and nothing, i tried ground and direct power straight to the pin but still nothing.

i know the 03-04 gauges you can't bypass, but i thought the 05-06 you could bypass. anyone?
I THINK that if you add an inline resistor or 25 Ohms or more, it will turn the list off. According to the service manual anything less than 22 Ohms turns the light on.

I'm also working on a mod that should let the 98-02 temp sensor work, but be up to 12.5% out.

·
Registered
364 Posts
has anyone posted up the wiring side of the install for the 98-99 models. if not i'll post up how to wire it up

·
Registered
38 Posts
i bought the 05-06 speedo.. and i already have the speedohealer, anyone know what i should set the speedohealer on? i run now with 15-43 gearing. and adjusted the healer to this gearing... think it was -11,8...
and someone figured out the fuel warning lamp? how to bypass it so it wont flash all the time?..

Mats

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm 99.9% sure it will. The front sprocket has 12 spots for the pick up sensor to read vs. 6(?) on the pre 2005's(which is why the 03-04 gauges speed is compatible). Not absolutely sure, but I'll check.

If I find a cheap 07 cluster, I'll let everyone know if it is the same to setup. :D
Do you know how wide is the water sensor temp in ZX6R 02 vs 03? I'll try to make the cluster 05 work...

·
Registered
23 Posts
The remedy to 03-06 fuel level light on is install a 18K Ohms resistance ground to slot 2 in the connector!

Good luck everyone! :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got the temp sensor working for this mod but it costed me $180 to get this done. The adapter was made at a local machine shop and thats the only way i found to make this work.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts